Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cooperation and Information

I have attempted, as Chair of the Board of Selectmen to try to open up the lines of communication and information to a greater degree than my predecessors. It seems to have created a more vibrant level of discussion and debate, and for that I am thankful. I do not know what I would do if I did not have Mike and Bob in the audience showing their Cheshire grin pearly whites, whenever the debate goes from the ridiculous to the sublime.

However, it has become evident that with more of the materials for the meeting being accessible, the questions from the public, as well as their level of informed participation have improved. The level of cooperation at the meetings--fixing the problem, not fixing the blame--has improved.

Not everyone has put aside lingering disagreements or anger. But many have laid these things temporarily aside to move other projects and issues forward. I must say that it is heartening to see this level of cooperation begining to gel.

In any event, we now have BOS packets online, there is a 10 min "Other Business" to be open to the public for comment, and I believe that comment on pending motions and issues are being entertained (particularly because the commenters have been respectful and professional). If there are any other ways that the BOS meetings can be made more accessible, please comment below. It would be of great interest and of great help.

3 comments:

Mark Belanger said...

Indeed.

You've brought some real improvements to BOS meetings. I haven't had to write a "Hey look what those $#@@# guys did last night" blog in quite a while.

I think the blogs have an interesting role in all this. On the one hand, they can occasionally cross the line(both sides). On the other hand, it gives the average person a voice to discuss and investigate issues of interest. The lack of voice during "the process" probably spawned the blogs and now they're here - for good or ill - hopefully good.

I know that when I'm writing a blog, I do a lot of reading to back up what I'm writing. They have been a catalyst to increase my knowledge the same goes for the other bloggers.

Whether it's me writing about CPA or 43D, Jessie writing about alternative energy, or a forum post putting the spotlight on some other issue, the blogs can play a small role by highlighting things that are of personal or regional importance.

But back to point. Your tenure as BOS chairman has been a big improvement and your willingness to read local blogs gives you an insight into a part of local opinion that others are lacking.


I

Dave said...

Adam - I went to the http://www.middleborough.com/

looking for those packets -

I wouldn't have believed it possible, but the navigation on the site seems to have gone from very bad to even worse.

An chance that we can get a modern database driven website with search capabilites. I know that someone did a mock up.

In the future when you mention a website in a blog posting, please include the URL -

And many thanks for keeping the communication flowing - in both directions.

Dave said...

Adam - I went to the http://www.middleborough.com/

looking for those packets -

I wouldn't have believed it possible, but the navigation on the site seems to have gone from very bad to even worse.

Any chance that we can get a modern database driven website with search capabilites. I know that someone did a mock up.

In the future when you mention a website in a blog posting, please include the URL -

And many thanks for keeping the communication flowing - in both directions.